Tuesday, January 10, 2012

yesterday

Yesterday a challenge with one of my boys came to the surface, once again. It is something my husband and I thought was dealt with and worked on. We had even seen growth and progress in our son.

But yesterday when this problem came up again, it was like starting right back at the beginning. I was faced with two options, 1) let my emotions of frustration come out and do the parenting or 2) show my son gentleness and love, when he was clearly embarrassed about what had happened.

I knew the right choice to make, but it took a moment of prayer to be ready to handle our conversation the right way. I sent him away for a minute to correct something, then when he came back I was ready.

I believe God speaks to us in different ways and is always wanting us to grow in our weaknesses to be more like him. I was reading this blog and she was encouraging gentleness.  Something I can always grow in.

My son and I had a great talk and gained understanding of each other. He also made a plan to help avoid this same situation again. Then we moved on.

It would have been so easy for me to show my son my disappointment, but that would not have benefited anyone or anything. The best way I can teach my kids about Jesus is to do my best to live out his self sacrificing love.

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.  Galatians 5:13

There will always be challenges in parenting, but I am so thankful for the joy that comes when we truly surrender our emotions and follow Christ. I am also so thankful that the answers for everything are found in God's word. I was not left here alone to figure it out on my own, which is so good, because I know what can happen when I do things my way... not always good. ha! Now to continue putting what I know into practice.




-Erin






No comments:

Post a Comment