Friday, February 3, 2012

my heart

This past week has been kind of a big one for me. Nothing earth shattering that others may immediately notice, but I know and feel better than I have in a long time.

Earlier in the week a I saw a picture of an African boy about 7 or 8 very malnutrition, holding what I am assuming his also very malnutrition maybe 2 year old brother. I have seen images like this before, but this time it really struck me, and I was instantly brought to tears.

The caption under it said

Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.” Mark 10:21

This brought to light so many things like, truly and deeply praying for and about how I can help the least of these, how I can serve my family especially my kids so they can go out and serve others, how routine my walk has felt lately, and how self centered I am, just to name a few.

I prayed so honestly and openly really sharing my weaknesses and crying out to God. I am always blown away at how God can lift our burdens so easily sometimes. That night I went to the weekly youth group meeting ready to pour into those kids with a rejuvenated faith and added excited to serve and share.

During worship at the end of the night I felt the presence of the Lord in a way that was so real and has been lacking lately.

We are all called to different missions and have different ways we are called to further the Kingdom of God.

But now indeed there are many members, yet one body.  And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary.  And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty,   but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it,  that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.  1 Corinthians 12:20-26

So this was totally opening up for me and sharing where I so often fall short. Please pray along with me as I continue to seek the Lord for direction on where and how to serve. I don't want this life to be spent on my own selfish desires, but being able to show and share about a love that is greater and stronger than mine.


-Erin

2 comments:

  1. Love this. It will be cool to watch God place opportunities in front of you to serve and give of yourself just as he has prompted you to do! Keep us updated. Thanks for this encouragement to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. erin, i will be praying faithfully for you. I know that I too fall so short of what God has in store for me. I luv the part where you said "how I can serve my family especially my kids so they can go out and serve others", that struck something deep deep inside me. I will be praying and asking where I can serve, where I can do better to further His kingdom, His glory and His word. It is so nice to have a sister in Christ that can help me see where I need to work on my short comings thru her own beautifully written words. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete