Thursday, February 16, 2012

selfish

Today I am struggling with being selfish. Not in a way that I want superficial things, but in a (to me) worse way.

I am feeling blah for no reason, and I want to wallow in it.

Seeing those words written knowing that's where my heart is, yuck! That is not what God wants from me, that is not where I want to be.

I keep looking to the others to fill me, but the truth is, nothing can fill me but Christ.

Someone can say the most flattering things to me all day, and yes, that would be nice in the moment, but it would just leave me wanting more and questioning and wondering if I am not enough when the compliments stop.

But God's truth is fulfilling in a never ending way!

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.  Romans 12:2

The generous soul will be made rich,
And he who waters will also be watered himself.  Proverbs 11:25

And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.”  Mark 12:30-31


My focus is on me and that is the wrong place for it to be. I am far from perfect, but I have Christ in me and he can do great things,

Not only to change the way I feel, but to give me strength to change my actions and thoughts.

I get to spend a big part of my day with these guys.


unkempt hair and all.



Today despite my selfish wants, I choose to serve. Sometimes it feels like more of a sacrifice than serving, but ultimately, it gets my back to where God wants me to be.

I will be prayerfully be living today to love my neighbor as myself. Because the ones I am around most today are worth far more than my wallowing!


Your mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens;
Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the great mountains;
Your judgments are a great deep;
O Lord, You preserve man and beast.

Psalm 36:5-6


-Erin

2 comments:

  1. I find myself there a lot. Lately I've just been speaking truth to myself, trying to remember what He thinks of me..and trying to believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are definitely tough days. Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed by all I need to do when all I want to do it sit down and take a break. I got the book Jesus Calling for Christmas. It is amazing. It only takes a couple of minutes to read each day (which I don't even get that done every day). But, every time I read it I feel refreshed. I hope tomorrow is a better day!

    ReplyDelete