Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Zumba!

There are many, many women (and men) that have danced their way (and weight off) from this form of exercise.

Honestly, it has never even been something I considered, like not even a little bit, like not at all! But here is a little background on me.

I was always a super thin child and young adult. I had my first son at 21 and during my pregnancy with him I gained about 60 pounds! Since I was pretty thin before, with the weight that didn't come off after he was born, I looked about average. With each following pregnancy I gained between 35 and 40 pounds and after each pregnancy just naturally (while chasing around kids) lost the weight, and after my third son was born I went down to my original 20 year old pre-pregnancy size.

I am not saying this to say "oh look at how lucky I am" I am giving background, because even though my body works well with the running around with my four boys, there is something missing. I have no physical endurance and I don't challenge my body. I am still carrying around an extra 20 pounds from my most recent pregnancy (but don't mind since it's only been a little less than 4 months) but I have been feeling the Lord challenging my heart and wanting me to challenge my body.

I love trying new things... as long as I know I will be good at it! Which is a huge reason why I have never committed to a work out routine. I have tried different things, most recently (like over a year ago) running, and have quit all, because I just can't seem to get good at it fast enough. Problem is I don't replace the activity with another activity. I am really good at giving reasons excuses on why it just won't be beneficial for me in "this season".  I eat really well, that's enough right?! WRONG!

Well times are a changing for me, and I am setting out and trying something that I know I will be bad at! I have a good friend that has been on an amazing health journey this past year and has recently become a certified Zumba instructor. She is currently working at a gym, but also was hired on at a couple of dance studios that allow drop-ins. She starts at one of the dance studios tomorrow and asked me to come and support.

So tomorrow is the day! I have been talking about all my different options and what would work best with my kids schedule, but talk is talk, and it's time to do. I have a friend coming over to watch my boys and I am going to take my first Zumba class! I am crazy nervous about how bad I will be, but I know it will push me so much out of my comfort zone (I don't even have work out clothes that fit), that the Lord will use it.

My 30th birthday is quickly approaching, 2 weeks from today to be exact, and I am ready to give my fears to God and let him work them out. I have been working on this for years and this is an area that I have held on to for too long. We live in a fallen world and there is so much going on around, but God isn't calling me to live in fear of being embarrassed, but do things without grumbling.

Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.  Philipians 2:14-18

This past Sunday at church we unpacked these verses and although there is so much more to it than me trying Zumba, it still applies to something as small as, me trying Zumba. I was inspired by an amazing bloggy friend. I so hope to meet her someday, but I decided to hold myself accountable with everyone as well.


All of our journeys our different, and each person's challenge is as hard to them as anyone. I would love for you to leave me a comment to either hold me accountable or if you want to partner up and I can hold you accountable as well. it's not about doing something huge, all the small things add up! Thank you for coming along on this journey with me!


-Erin 

1 comment:

  1. you totally rock my friend, and we WILL meet one day! and i can't think of a better partner! i can't wait to hear how zumba went - i hear its wonderful!

    ReplyDelete