Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Lara Bars

My boys love Clif Zbars! A couple of years ago friends of mine started making their own Lara Bars. I decided to try it and see if my boys liked them. Well it was super easy and my boys love them!

They only require 3 ingredients
3/4 C Dates
3/4 C Dried Fruit of choice (today I used dried apricots, but the options are endless, sometimes I just use      raisins)
1 C Whole Raw Almonds (or cashews, or walnuts, etc.)
*This makes about 16 small bars*


First I put the dates and dried fruit in the food processor and pulse until it forms a ball.


Then put the fruit mixture in a separate bowl. Without cleaning out the processor pulse the almonds, until finely chopped.



Add nuts to the fruit mixture and squish (technical term) to combine and make a ball. Then place ball between plastic wrap.





Flatten out to desired bar thickness and cut in bars, bite size squares, or roll into bite size balls. Again, the possibilities are endless.





I individually wrap mine into single serving snack size plastic bags, but as long as they are in an air tight container they will be fine. Store in the fridge.




These bars are so filling and sometimes my boys request these as a main dish for lunch. It takes about 10 min from start to finish. Since they are no bake they are ready to eat right away, which works well for me. This is my first recipe sharing, so hope it makes sense, ha!


-Erin




five days five ways | feature friday free for all

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, these could work for us too! My oldest loves eating "breakfast bars" as a snack (store bought granola bars usually with chocolate in them) so these could be a replacement for those. I'm thinking I could even add some chocolate chips to entice him to eat them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhmmm i might try to make these! are they "stickier" than like quaker granola bars? i was thinking if so it might be easier for lunches as little balls

    ReplyDelete